FOR AN OVERVIEW OF THE FAIR PROCESS AND PROCEDURES, PLEASE SEE THIS PRESENTATION.
A ScienceMONTGOMERY Fair project is an independent science activity requiring a variety of skills, many of which you will teach yourself as you go along. You will develop your own ideas on how to investigate a scientific problem or question that interests you. At the ScienceMONTGOMERY Fair, you will display your project and talk to professional scientists about it. Projects will be judged for Awards and some top 9-12th grade projects will be selected to compete in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) in May.
In planning your project, you should become familiar with the ScienceMONTGOMERY rules and forms. All students and their parents/guardians MUST sign and date Approval Form 1B before starting any experimentation. For the most part, ScienceMONTGOMERY follows the rules of the Intel ISEF rules as part of our affiliation with this prestigious event. Both Intel ISEF Rules, Registration Forms and ScienceMONTGOMERY Guidelines can be accessed through the links below.
Once you have selected a topic for your project, read our rules, and obtained approvals, you should complete your project using the Scientific Method. The Scientific Method has the following steps:
1) Choose a problem to investigate or a project to carry out
2) Do background research to learn as much as possible about the topic you are working on
3) Form a hypothesis (educated guess) about your results and/or a plan to carry out your project
4) Conduct experiments to test your hypothesis and carry out your project plan
5) Analyze your data (results) – this should include determining any limitations or problems in your data or experimental methods
6) Discuss your results and state your conclusions (these must be supported by your data)
Before you can register for the fair you should determine in which of the 7 scientific categories
your project belongs.
Registration for the Fair includes completion of the online registration process. After you have registered online, you must compile and complete ALL required documents. These documents must be received by the registration deadline (see Fair Schedule under the About Us tab).